Pages

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Movies you can see again .... and again

I normally watch a movie once, never wishing to repeat the experience. But there are a few special films that are worth revisiting. Some are classics, some just damn good entertainment. I am ignoring cult movies like the overrated "Rocky Horror Picture Show".
Here's my list. I could probably add more musicals but I will restrain myself....

  • The Wizard of Oz (1939)
  • Gypsy (1962)
  • A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966)
  • Mrs Doubtfire (1993)
  • Tootsie (1982) It has to have the best cast ever assembled for a comedy (let's not talk about Kramer's misfire, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World)
  • Goldfinger (1964)
  • M*A*S*H (1970)
  • Bring It On (2000)
  • any film from the Austin Powers trilogy (just scratch Fat Bastard - unfunny)
  • Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - if my tearducts are up to it
  • You Only Live Twice" (1967) - yes, I am a Bond tragic
  • The French Connection (1971)
  • Chinatown (1974)
  • All about Eve (1950)
  • The African Queen (1952)
  • Young Frankenstein (1975)
  • Blazing Saddles (1974)
  • My Favourite Year (1982) - Loosely based on '50s live TV comedy show "Your Show of Shows", featuring Peter O'Toole as boozy Errol Flynn-ish character, Lainie Kazan steals scenes, warm and funny script, Mel Brooks produced.
  • The Producers (1968) - yes, I am a Mel Brooks fan also
  • Some Like It Hot (1959)
  • The Night of the Hunter (1955) Sublime Southern gothic/German Expressionist influenced, Charles Laughton pulling out all the stops as director, Mitchum is chilling.
  • Jaws (1975)
  • Taxi Driver (1976)
  • The Godfather (1972)
any suggestions?


2 comments:

  1. I never get tired of "A Christmas Story." Or "Raising Arizona." Or "Friday."

    Comedies don't always connect with me, but when they do, they typically stick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot "A Christmas Story"!!! I wrote about it in one of my posts, too. Priceless film. Used to show it to my class (elementary school) every year. It always went down well with all age groups. So many delightful scenes.
    ("I like the witch")
    "Raising Arizona" is another good one.
    I don't think that Chris Tucker film made it down to Australia.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome. Spam and links will be deleted by administrator.